Thursday 5 June 2014

Week 3 Kiva (microfinancing)

www.kiva.org

At times I've hesitated donating to charities since I've not been sure if the money goes where it is needed, I worry that it ends up being spent on red tape. In addition, for some instances, I'm not sure about "hand outs" (yup, that old jaded negative voice I can't seem to shake).

I'm always interested in a longer term solution.....if one is available...

Kiva is not about donating, it is about investing in people who don't get the opportunity to access capital; known as Microfinance. Microfinance can play a role in alleviating poverty and is effective in empowering women. Poor people have difficulty getting loans and often credit available is relatively expensive.

I'm already invested in 3 Kiva projects and intend to re-invest the money that is paid back. That's another great point, the small amount of upfront money can do good again and again.


No comments:

Post a Comment